“Planes for Brains: 28 Innovative Origami Airplane Designs” by Michael G. LaFosse and Richard L. Alexander
Enthralled with origami from a young age, master designer Michael LaFosse has used those skills to design and perfect paper airplanes for decades. In Planes for Brains, LaFosse presents 28 original models that incorporate innovative functional and aesthetic details—like faceted flaps, ailerons, canards and spoilers that really work. The sense of proportion and balance, and an ingenious nose and fuselage locking system, define these signature models, which are sure to become instant classics.
In addition to teaching the skills to create the planes, this book provides expert advice on:
- How to select and prepare the best folding paper for each plane
- How to balance aesthetics, performance and fun when designing your own planes
- Helpful tips on control surfaces, and how to manipulate them for the best flights
- Tips on launching different types of planes to get the best possible glide
- A discussion of aerodynamics and how it relates to paper airplane performance